Monday, 28 January 2013

Cattle Egret.....

......... MY ARSE !!

The recent arrival of a cattle egret just up the road on Holy Island served to highlight what a strange bunch us birders are......

Personally I find it completely bonkers that this rather drossy and common bird that you can see in almost anywhere in the world (OK a little exaggeration, but you know what I mean) caused almost every birder in Northumberland to dash to Holy Island.......

Is a cattle egret really SO important ? Maybe its a mid winter madness thing setting in ?!!

Holy Island is only 25 minutes from my front door but I really couldn't be arsed with this.......

......And there you have it !

I guess everyone has different goals from this hobby. I often take the piss out of the hardcore Northumberland listers (in a nice way of course) just because they are so damn serious about it ! I'm sure they all take the piss out of me, or just think that I am weird, for my general disinterest in keeping a list.

We all have different levels of interest though. While I find it funny that people will drop everything for a boring cattle egret, I very occasionally lapse in to my bad old ways, driving to the other end of the country to twitch some rare crippler........ So who is the craziest ??

I think what I am trying to highlight is that I don't think there are any rights or wrongs, so long as the birds in question are appreciated and respected that's is the most important thing.

As for cattle egret, I saw one back in the 90s when I was a bit of a twitcher sort. I have never bothered going to see another since, never really felt the need because they are so common elsewhere and to be honest I find them a bit dull !

Anyway, it takes all sorts don't it......

Here's an amazing sunrise taken from our house on Friday morning......

2 comments: